Sunday, May 16, 2010

Music's my Imaginary Friend

                                     

So, for my history essay, I'm writing about how Madonna has influenced American society.

I began to look up Madonna lyrics, seeing which songs had some meaning to help out my essay,
and I came across a website that had different meanings behind majority of the 80's songs.
This is what I learned:


Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes - This song is about how he loves masturbation more than sex with a woman. "body and beats, I stain my sheets, I don't even know why, my girlfriend, she's at the end, she is starting to cry"

Don't Stand so Close to Me by The Police - This song was inspired from Sting's days as an English teacher. From what I read a student of his developed a crush on him which caused many problems. Among them was that he was teaching High School English, and he himself was in his early 20's, not that far removed in age from his students. His background in literature is obvious in the line "That famous book by Nabakov". The famous book of course was "Lolita".

 Every Breath You Take by The Police - This song is about the relationship Sting had with his ex wife. His Ex wife stalked him after their marriage ended.

I Don't Like Mondays by Boomtown Rats -  wrote this song after a tragic 1979 event in which a "Sweet 16-" year old girl decided to open fire on a Cleveland elementary school, killing two adults and wounding 8 kids. When asked why, she told the reporter, "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day."

 Jesse's Girl by Rick Springfield - As a teen, Rick saw a girl in his art class that he had a crush on until another man dated her instead. His name was Gary and Rick tried Gary's Girl but it didn't work, so he changed the name to Jessie's Girl.

One Night in Bangkok by  Murray Head - This song is also about how a person can be obsessed with chess to the point that they can't enjoy the sensual beauty of the city around them.

White Wedding by Billy Idol - The song is about heroin. He was addicted to it, stayed away from it, and then got high off of it again.


So maybe these meanings were obvious, but who knows.

OH, and I never found an accurate meaning for any Madonna songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment